Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Receiver Tray with Removable Antenna Mast

New idea for Version 2 Mini-Quad!

After getting the first prototype done, I decided I wanted to eventually buy a Pelican style case to transport the copter, some batteries, and possibly the transmitter around securely. In order to do this I need to be able to remove the antennas from the copter. It's easy enough to unscrew the Immersion RC Spironet video antenna, but the way I've been mounting the antenna masts for my Futaba receivers makes them hard to remove.

Basically what I've been doing is taking a thin piece of lexan, trimming it to fit the base of the receiver, and then creating a leg to mount a plastic antenna mast. I usually bend the lexan to a 90 or 45 degree angle to position the antenna mast. The antenna mast itself is secured to the lexan with heat shrink, and lastly I mount the receiver to the lexan with double sided tape. This method has worked well and it allows the antenna mast to bend over if I were to clip an obstacle.

Below is a screenshot from Inventor Fusion of the part I will be sending to Shapeways shortly:

I designed this receiver tray around the Futaba 6106HFC FASST receiver I am using. The angled hole in the back is to insert the antenna mast in. I am almost done with the design but I am thinking I will add a provision for a small set screw just in case I need a little bit of positive lock on the plastic antenna mast tube. The receiver will be secured to the tray with double sided tape like I've been doing with most of my builds already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment