Sunday, October 12, 2014

Version 2 Final Assembly

My last entry addressed the steps taken to wire up the new KISS 18A ESC's. It actually took me a while to complete wiring the other 3 motors and ESC's. But that was only the beginning. The KISS ESC's do not include a BEC circuit to power the Naze32 or the receiver, so you have to include your own. Below are the final assembly steps of the assembly of the 4S powered Version 2 Mini-Quad.

Lots of wiring here, designing a power distribution board is on my list of things to do:

Placement of Pololu 5V 500mA regulator:

Dirty section assembled, one connector for the ESC/Naze32, and one to power the Immersion vtx:

Originally changed the bottom plate on Version 2 for better cooling of the ESC's when mounted inboard, but I ended up mounting the KISS 18A ESC's to the arms since they didn't have heat sinks. Here you can see the rats nest worth of wiring it takes to get everything connected:

Mounting the lower clean plate with new black Naze32 mounted:

The install is a lot cleaner with the connector on the bottom, and the board clocked with the USB port facing out. This will make it easier to program too: 

Detail view of how I mounted the Immersion vtx, which I don't think I showed in my previous build:

Version 2 upper clean plate changed to allow for access to a velcro battery strap:

The antenna mast mount from Shapeways finally arrived:

Receiver mounted:

My pictures really don't do the orange Shapeways printed parts justice:

Once more picture of the backend:

Other than a lack of PDB I am pretty satisfied with the finished Version 2 Mini-Quad. Eventually I would like to take some time to redesign the upper dirty plate as a PDB, but in the mean time I have other projects to work on and flight tuning of the new 4S setup.

I went ahead and took it out for it's maiden hover and it is an absolute rocket even with the 6030 props. It wa suggested I run the 6045 props because the setup should handle it, but I might tool around with these props for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment