Saturday, October 25, 2014

FDM 3D Printed Gimbal Parts

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I sent a couple of the parts off to be 3D printed using Fused Deposition Modeling ABS plastic. Those parts arrived yesterday and I've begin test fitting as many parts as I can. So far everything seems to fit. There are a couple G10 pieces I need to have cut to complete the gimbal.

Bulkhead with gimbal roll motor fitted:

Hobby King 2-axis Alexmos micro gimbal controller mounted to bulkhead:

These parts I called the gimbal bowtie ears, once the G10 part is made it will make more sense why I called them bowtie ears (the G10 part which connects it all is shaped like a bowtie):

GoPro mount, gimbal pitch motor, and IMU assembled:

IMU wiring is routed through the GoPro mount and through the gimbal motor shaft:

Not installed yet is the Lumenier GoPro connector, this will be the same as my other mini-quad:

Trying out the Tau Labs Sparky flight controller for this build:

I decided to try out the Tau Labs Sparky on this build because it has some pretty cool features which are supported. Right off the bench this thing already has a barometer and magnetometer built in, so it supports altitude hold flight mode. It also has the capability to do GPS position hold and Return to Home failsafe with the addition of a GPS antenna, which are features I will be interested in possibly adding down the line.

I have put on order most of the piece parts I will need to finish this build, and the G10 should be arriving to Twitchity soon (who will be cutting the new pieces). Hopefully the updates will keep rolling and if things go well, first prototype flights will happen before the Thanksgiving holiday.

2 comments:

  1. What is Fused Deposition Modeling ABS plastic? Why did you choose that for your gimbal? Are there other plastic options?

    ReplyDelete